Monday, July 25, 2011

Heirloom Gardening & Seed Saving

Here are some resources that I have used for growing heirloom vegetables and saving seeds.

I have bought seeds from these places, and they all germinated well. I had very few to zero "bad seeds".

http://eldoradoheirloomseeds.com/
http://www.heirloomsolutions.com/

I used this method for saving tomato seeds with success. I have not tried to grow or germinate any of the seeds yet.

How to Save Tomato Seeds

Here are some other resources that will be helpful if you are interested in organic, heirloom gardening and seed saving. I would highly recommend planning your garden before planting. I also start seeds indoors before planting outdoors. Eldorado (listed above) sent us a garden planner with dates when you should plant each kind of vegetable. Check with your local co-op to find out when your last frost date will be and when you should plant certain things in your area. You should not plant certain plant families near each other or they will cross pollinate. See the links below for more details on cross-pollination.

Seed Saving Instructions for Beginners
Tomato Cross-Pollination
Plant Families-Planning your garden for seed saving

You can get an indoor grow lamp from www.gardeners.com. I got the small table lamp to start off with. It works really well. However, I know people that just sit their plants in a sunny window until they're ready to go outside. I had great success with the plant lamps inside because I can't put them in a window.

No comments:

Post a Comment